What is CEREC Dentistry? CEREC Crowns Pros and Cons
At Vassey Dental Partners, we are committed to staying on the cutting edge of technology to ensure our patients receive the best care possible. CEREC dentistry is one of our state of the art options for restoring patients’ teeth. Our CEREC dental crown machine allows us to create customized crowns in the office. If you need a restoration, a CEREC dental crown has many benefits to consider.
What is a CEREC Crown? Getting to Know CEREC Restorations
Many patients wonder what CAD/CAM is in dentistry; CAD/CAM stands for Computer-Aided Design and Computer-Aided Manufacturing. CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic) dentistry utilizes CAD/CAM technology to create customized restorations within the dental practice. The computer software takes impressions and then passes on the information for fabrication. CEREC can be used for creating crowns, veneers, inlays, onlays, fixed bridges, dental implants, dentures, and orthodontic appliances.
CEREC Crowns Benefits
- Time–Saving—Many restoration methods require multiple visits to complete. CEREC crowns can be completed the same day as your visit. You can avoid the stress and time of multiple visits.
- Accuracy—Typically, crowns require sending impressions off to a lab for creation. This process takes time, and your dentist has less control over the final product. CEREC fabrications are very accurate in their grinding or milling process.
- No Temporary Fixes—Other crown restorations require temporary crowns while the customized one is being made. Temporary crowns are not as strong and can be more challenging to care for. With CEREC dental crowns, your permanent solution is in place when you leave your appointment.
CEREC Crowns Problems
- Accessibility—Not all dental practices have access to the latest CEREC technology. We are grateful to have this option at our practice to serve our patients better.
- Cost—In some cases, CEREC crowns can be more expensive than traditional crowns.
- Material Limitations—If your crown is made with CEREC, these are made from high-quality ceramic materials. Traditional crowns are made from a wider variety of materials, including porcelain, gold, composite resin, and metal alloys.
How Much Do CEREC Crowns Cost?
The cost will depend on your dental insurance coverage. Patients without dental insurance can expect a higher out-of-pocket cost. Before starting your restoration, we can provide an accurate estimate.
How Long Do CEREC Crowns Last?
The average lifespan of a CEREC crown is 10-15 years. Being careful to not bite down hard on the crown or grind your teeth will help maximize the crown’s lifespan.
If you are interested in a CEREC crown for your tooth restoration, reach out to Vassey Dental Partners. Your dentist will utilize the advanced CEREC technology to complete your procedure the same day!