How To Deal With Dental Anxiety
Is the thought of going to the dentist scary? If going to the dentist frightens you, take comfort in knowing you are not alone. Dental anxiety in some degree is experienced by over 60% of adults. At Vassey Dental Partners, we want to change the way you feel about going to the dentist. Our team is committed to helping you overcome your anxiety and remain as comfortable as possible throughout your visit. We have found that most patients who struggle with dental anxiety have similar reasons for their discomfort. Explore the most common reasons for dental anxiety to see if any of them ring true for you.
Dental Anxiety Triggers
- Fear of Pain—Many patients will delay dental appointments to avoid experiencing pain. Delaying appointments can often lead to undiscovered dental problems which could be more uncomfortable to deal with later. We offer many options to keep you comfortable throughout your visit, whether you are in for a cleaning or a dental procedure. Nitrous oxide is a great option for patients to maximize relaxation. There are also sedation options when needed. We will be happy to help you find the ideal solution to keep you pain-free during your visit.
- Expenses—Worrying about the cost can cause some patients to delay appointments, especially if they anticipate there may be a problem. Preventative dentistry measures are far more affordable than restorative ones. Staying on top of your at-home regimen and routine professional cleanings will greatly reduce your chances of needing expensive dental restorations. If you do have a dental issue, we will discuss all the options with you and find a solution that suits your budget and needs. Never let the cost keep you from protecting your smile through proper oral care.
- Embarrassment—Our team will not be off put or uncomfortable no matter what condition your smile is in. We will treat you with the dignity and compassion you deserve no matter the state of your oral health. Let us help you improve your smile and reach your dental goals.
- Negative Experiences—Identifying the ghosts of your dental past will be helpful in overcoming them and finding solutions to bring you peace in the present. Our team will be kind and compassionate listening ears. You can feel entirely safe with us because we truly care about your wellbeing beyond just your oral health. Share your dental journey with us and we will help you find ways to minimize any discomfort you have about coming into the office.
- Feeling Out of Control or Helpless—Feeling trapped in a chair with a bunch of dental tools in your mouth could feel like it is straight out of a horror movie for you. When you are feeling overwhelmed, let our staff know right away. We can stop and give you a break when needed if you just let us know. Your comfort is of the greatest importance, so we are happy to take the process slowly if that helps you feel at ease.
The team at Vassey Dental Partners is standing by to help you face your dental fears and reach your best smile. Schedule your visit today!